Security & Privacy
1. Security and Privacy
Security and online transactions
Our payment system is secure. Just Specs uses Stripe to process all financial transactions. Why Stripe? Because it's safe, it's fast and they do not share your payment details with anyone. Stripe is used to shop at thousands of websites, and this system ensures your financial details are never shared.
What type of data do we collect from you?
Your email address, navigation habits, identity, and some details about your eyesight (e.g. your spectacle prescription).
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small data file sent to your computer and stored on its hard drive after you visit a website. After registering with us, your computer will store an identifying cookie which will save you time each time you re-visit Just Specs. Occasionally we may use third-party advertising companies to display ads on our site; they may place or recognise a cookie on your browser.
Can I disable/remove cookies?
Yes, you can disable or reject cookies by adjusting the preferences in your browser. This will mean NO websites will be able to place cookies on your computer. If you do this it may prevent you from fully enjoying all the sections of our and other websites.
How do we handle the information we collect about you?
When you send an email through our website, you will provide basic information (e.g. name, email, etc.) and we will only use this info to formulate a response to your enquiry. The personal data and password collected during the ordering process are used to allow us to process & deliver your order in a safe and efficient manner. Information collected by our web servers and cookies is not transferred to third parties. We may occasionally supply authorized third parties with information, collected through the site or an email, as they may be needed to help process your order/query.
It is your right to be told whether we hold any personal information, to ask us to update or remove your information and to object to the processing of your information.
The information which you supply to us, except if provided to others in the circumstances set out in our Policy, will be kept on the Site's secured servers and computer systems, protected from outside infringements.
Links to other websites
Our site has links to other websites which are third-party partners. We do not control and are not responsible for their privacy policies.
We reserve the right to make changes to our policy from time to time. These will appear on this Policy page.
If you have any questions about any aspect of our policy, you can reach us by email, post or telephone.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND EMAILS OR REGISTER ON THE SITE IF YOU DO NOT WANT THAT INFORMATION TO BE PROCESSED BY US IN THE WAYS DESCRIBED BY THIS POLICY. BY PROVIDING US WITH INFORMATION ON THE SITE, YOU CONSENT TO THE TRANSFER OF PERSONAL DATA AS DESCRIBED IN THE FOLLOWING POLICY
The Prison Opticians Company, trading as Just Specs ("we") run this site (the "Site") for visitors who wish to find out more about our business and for visitors who wish to purchase our products ("you") using this Site. We make every reasonable effort to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998.
2. WHAT TYPE OF INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
Personal info relating to Internet users viewing the Site may be collected through the Site on each of the following occasions:
- data concerning navigation may be collected by our web servers or by cookies when you are browsing the Site;
- data pertaining to your identity and email address may be collected when you send an email to us through the Site, for instance via the ‘Contact Us’ page or when you submit an Order Form in accordance with our Terms and Conditions;
- data pertaining to your identity may be collected by the Site on registration for online ordering; and
- data regarding your identity, medical stats as contained on any prescription or other supporting information that you provide to us, whether by email, telephone, fax or post.
- Upon collection, the personal data will be stored for as long as is reasonably necessary to provide goods and services, including after-sales services to you, in accordance with our Terms and Conditions.
3a. WHAT IS A COOKIE?
A cookie is a small piece of data that gets stored on your computer's hard drive by your web browser when you access a website. The Site makes use of the following types of cookie technology:
- A "Session cookie", which contains a random ID number automatically allocated to your computer by the web server for the duration of your visit. It is meant to make your use of the Site faster and easier. It will be deactivated after thirty minutes of inactivity on the Site and will be automatically removed from your computer when you close your browser.
- A "Script generated cookie" is automatically allocated to your computer when you register to access any restricted areas of the Site and on each subsequent visit. It only contains an identifier which will enable the Site to identify you as a registered user so that you do not have to identify yourself again while you move from one server to another during your visit. It will remain on your computer after your visit until you remove it. It will be placed again at your next visit.
3b. THIRD-PARTY COOKIES
We reserve the right to use third-party advertising companies to display advertisements on the Site. These third-party companies may separately place or recognise a cookie file on your browser in the course of delivering advertisements to the Site. We do not see the data collected or stored in third-party cookies. We never provide your personal data to these third party advertisers or affiliates or to any other third party.
4. REMOVING AND DISABLING COOKIES
If you’d rather we didn’t place cookies on your computer at all, you can adjust your browser to disable or reject cookies. This means that no websites will be able to place cookies on your computer. You do this by adjusting the preferences within your browser. This will mean, however, you will not be able to enjoy full use of all parts of the Site.
If you wish to remove previously-stored cookies, you can delete the cookies at any time. This does not prevent websites from placing further cookies on your computer in the future.
To find out exactly how to disable/remove, please go to http://www.aboutcookies.org/default.aspx
5. WHAT WE DO WITH THE DATA WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
- DATA COLLECTED BY WEB SERVERS AND COOKIES
Our web servers that serve the Site collect the IP address of users who visit the Site, their Site navigation data (page requested, time of the request, browser type and server response) as well as the user name if you have registered to any restricted areas of the site.
This data is aggregated regularly and de-identified so that the number of visits to the Site and its pages, the average time spent on the Site and the pages viewed, etc., can be measured and analysed to improve our goods offered and marketing approach and to improve the Site's content and functionality. This information is not used to create individual visitors' profiles. We do not track the individual navigation of visitors, except in the very limited cases where a visitor faces a navigational problem which requires a technical intervention to correct the problem or to detect potential intrusions.
- DATA COLLECTED WHEN SENDING AN EMAIL TO THE OWNER
If you send an email to us through the Site, for instance through the 'Contact' pages, then by doing so you will provide us with basic data about yourself, such as your email address, phone numbers, name, your query and this may include certain medical information.
We do not use the information you provide when sending us emails for purposes other than responding to your message, handling your query/order, analysing your feedback and for improving the Site.
Except if provided to others, as set out below, the supplied data will be kept on the Site’s secured servers and computer systems, protected from outside intrusions.
- DATA COLLECTED THROUGH SUBMISSION OF ORDER FORM
In addition to a copy of your prescription from a registered ophthalmic optician, or details thereof as applicable you are required to provide the personal data set out in the Order Form.
This data, as well as your password, is used by us for the purpose of processing your Order, delivery of Goods to you and otherwise performing our obligations to you in line with our Terms and Conditions. If you don’t want to register, but would still like product information, then call the telephone number provided on the ‘Contact’ page.
If you specify in the ordering process that you are interested in receiving news from Just Specs, your personal info will be used and transferred for direct marketing purposes. Except as expressly stated in this Privacy and Cookies Policy and in our Terms and Conditions we will not send you email messages or junk mail, and your details will not be passed to ANY organisation beyond Just Specs without your explicit permission.
6. TRANSFER OF THE INFO COLLECTED VIA THE SITE TO THIRD PARTIES
Information collected by web servers and cookies is not transferred to any third parties.
Information collected on sending an email may if necessary be provided, to the extent necessary to handle your order, to our offices (including those of our affiliates, agents or representatives) as well as vendors whose assistance is required to handle your query.
Information collected through the Site may also be transferred to others from time to time in the following cases as needed to perform the data processing purposes described in this Policy:
- at your request, on your ordering or subject to your prior agreement, to a recipient specified by you;
- to our authorised third parties in compliance with our statutory or regulatory obligations;
- to recipients who are acting for us in the capacity of agent, authorised proxy, sub-contractor, service provider or in any other capacity, including suppliers in charge of hosting or maintaining the site;
- to our optical laboratories;
- other third party business selected by us for the purposes of direct marketing, if you tick in the relevant box during the Ordering Process;
- in the event of a change of control or acquisition of the whole or part of the assets or business of The Prison Opticians Company Limited, the info collected through the Site will be transferred to the acquiring entity.
7. TRANSFERRING YOUR INFORMATION OUTSIDE EUROPE
Presently we don’t transfer your data outside Europe.
8. YOUR SUBJECT ACCESS RIGHTS
By law, you have the following rights
- a subject access right which allows you to be told whether we hold any personal info about you and to acquire a copy of that information;
- a right to have personal data relating to you rectified, completed, updated, blocked or erased when it is incorrect, incomplete, unclear, obsolete or processed unlawfully;
- a right to object to the processing of information relating to you on legitimate grounds and the right to object free of charge to the use of data for solicitation purposes.
We will comply with the rights as provided under the law. If you want to exercise your subject access right, please write to us at the address set out on the Site with enough information to identify yourself and the data you require. We will respond to your request within 40 days. We reserve the right to charge a fee of £10 for complying with your request.
The data supplied by you will be kept on the Site’s secured servers and computer systems, protected from outside intrusions, except if provided to others in the circumstances set out in this Policy.
10. LINKS FROM THIS WEBSITE TO OTHERS
We may make changes to this Policy from time to time. Any such changes will appear on this page, which we advise you to check from time to time. By continuing to use the site you are deemed to accept changes to this Policy.
12. CONTACTING US
If you have any questions about any aspect of this Policy or want to discuss how we handle your data you can contact us by email, post or telephone.